In honor of the holiday week ahead, here is a combo of vegan salted caramel ice cream and soft, chewy and thin chocolate chip cookies, aka the CHIPWICH. Ahhh… such a great summer treat that reminds me of being a kid. If you buy them pre-packaged they can contain lots of artificial preservatives and additives that you do not want wreaking havoc in your body. Check out this recipe and let me know if you try it!
Recipe: Soft & Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 7 T coconut oil, softened but not melted
- 1 T olive oil
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar*
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 c all purpose flour (I used einkorn flour)
- 3/4 c almond flour
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ~1/2 c mini chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Using a mixer*, cream the coconut and olive oils and coconut sugar until smooth, then add maple syrup and vanilla.
- Add in dry ingredients – flours & baking soda and mix until combined. Stir in chocolate chips.
- On a parchment lined baking sheet, scoop dough into large tablespoon full scoops leaving enough room in between.
- Bake till the edges are brown, about 12-14 minutes
*Notes: I did attempt to reduce the coconut sugar by half. The recipe did still turn out, but they were more fragile. Do not omit the maple syrup, it keeps them moist and helps them to stick. A mixer is required for this recipe or it is too dry!
To make chipwiches, let cookies cool. Defrost a container of your favorite ice cream or use Vegan ice cream.
Once ice cream is soft and cookies are completely cooled, use parchment paper as your work mat for each sandwich. Load ice cream on top of one cookie and top with another. Roll edges in chocolate chips or natural dye sprinkles. Wrap in parchment individually and freeze until set, a few hours or overnight works best!