Happy Heart week! I love all of the hearts, pinks, reds, and love for Valentines week!
I had posted a grain free granola recipe last week, and after making it a few times, I’m sharing the recipe below. For this one, I found pecans worked the best because of their natural oils. I was able to skip coconut oil, and used a little maple syrup. If you try this with other nuts, you may need coconut oil so that it stays nice and moist.
While pecans sometimes get a bad wrap, they are a great source of healthy fats, manganese, and copper – all of these nutrients help with energy levels. Pecans also boost antioxidant levels in the body and lower LDL “bad” cholesterol (1). Consumption of monounsaturated fat(in nuts) is also connected to a lowered risk of heart disease (2), and a diet containing pecans can reduce inflammation and oxidative stress, both of which are linked to disease.
If you like to eat raw, you can eat this granola uncooked all crumbled up – it’s delicious. You could make it into balls, and even add chocolate chips or coat in chocolate (just saying!) I liked it both ways, and cooked turns out great on top of smoothies or just for eating plain.
Let me know if you make it and what you think!
Pecan Coconut Grain Free Granola Recipe (with raw option)
- 1 cup pecans
- 1 cup coconut (unsweetened)
- ⅓ cup pumpkin seeds
- ⅛ - ¼ (scant) maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- In a food processor, process pecans, coconut, and pumpkin seeds until crumbly and mixed.
- Add maple syrup, vanilla and cinnamon and pulse a few times.
- At this point, if you want to go raw, place into glass container and store up to one week.
- If cooking, spread onto baking sheet into a thin layer and bake for 22-25 minutes till edges are browning.
- After cooling completely, break into pieces and enjoy!