Homemade Elderberry Syrup
Homemade Elderberry Syrup Recipe
Author: Lil Runner, adapted from Viva Naturals Recipe Type: Basics ⅔ cup dried elderberries 3½ cups water a few sprinkles of cinnamon (optional) 1 cup raw, buckwheat or manuka honey (optional)
Author: Lil Runner, adapted from Viva Naturals
Recipe type: Basics
Serves: 2 cups
- Pour water into medium saucepan and add elderberries and cinnamon.
- Simmer for about 45 minutes to an hour until the liquid has reduced by almost half.
- Remove from heat and let cool.
- Pour through a strainer, mashing and pressing the berries into a glass jar or bowl.
- Discard the elderberries and let the liquid cool.
- Once cool, but not before, so as not to destroy enzymes, add the optional honey and stir well. If you do not add honey, you can add it to individual servings.
- Pour the syrup into a quart sized mason jar and store in the fridge! Keeps for 2-3 months.
Have you made your own elderberry syrup? What do you like to add?