Here we are – week 3! Last week went fine with a couple of changes along the way. I added in what I called “HEAB casserole” one of the nights and ended up having it for lunch the rest of the week. It was so great! More about that below. I skipped the enchalada bake and instead did salmon and pierogies on Thursday. For this week coming up:
Sunday – rigatoni and portabellos
Monday – Lentil loaf and mac and cheese or sweet potatoes
Tuesday – Chicken and HEAB casserole (with tomato soup as broth)
Wednesday- egg casserole + bagels
Thursday – tofu dippers, jaipur veggies (indian from TJs), naan, samosas and brown rice
Friday – leftovers/wing it
Saturday – party
Sunday – crock pot ?
I did well on breakfasts this week just by having it in my head. I write down ideas and let the kids pick. What’s for dinner this week?
Ingredients & Recipe courtesy HEAB
- 1 cup of your favorite grain. I used quinoa the first time and wheat berries the 2nd time – quinoa was best.
- 3 c broth for cooking grain (I used a very watery asparagus soup I had made that no one liked 🙂 )
- 1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed (I used a handful the first time and forgot the 2nd time)
- 3 to 4 cups (a couple handfuls) chopped veggies (I used some onion, red and orange peppers, and carrots)
- 2 TBSP butter
- 1 clove crushed garlic
- 2 tomatoes ( I omitted)
- 8 oz shredded cheddar (did not measure)
- 1/2 cup grated Parm (omitted)
- Preheat oven to 425°F
- Cook grain according to directions using soup in place of water. Stir in chickpeas.
- Chop veggies and place in casserole dish with butter and garlic. Roast in oven for 30 minutes, stirring once or twice.
- Remove dish from oven and set oven to 475°F.
- Cover veggies with cooked grain + chickpeas and top with sliced tomatoes, cheddar, and Parm. Cook an additional 15 minutes.
This is so versatile! The first time I used quinoa, second time I used wheat berries. This week, I want to use tomato soup for the base/stock.