Last week a high school friend of mine offered me a bib for a new race in Philly that was held yesterday.

Screenshot 2014-03-31 07.11.06

I checked the weather, and it was supposed to be around 50 degrees, and rain was not in the forecast in the time.

Then for the next few days, I went back and forth between…

What was I thinking???  Run for “fun”???

and

This could be fun, I need a change of scenery.

I looked at the weather on Saturday night and it said 30% chance of rain from 7-9am. 70% chance it wouldn’t rain, right?
I can do this! I had my doubts about how my body was going to handle it, but still, I wanted to get out!

I woke up, checked the weather forecast, …

 

Screenshot 2014-03-31 07.18.41

 

 

The chance of rain was now 50%.

When we arrived at the start, it was 48 degrees and raining.  Rain – more like 100%.

Screenshot 2014-03-30 20.41.24

 

There was a mile where it stopped raining, but the whole rest of the race, it was raining. Everyone was soaked. Puddles everywhere!  It wasn’t so bad running it in, but at the end when we stopped running, it was FREEZING!!  I took it easy so I could finish, but it crossed my mind at least 3 times that I could stop and walk to the finish when we were close to the finish line 🙂   It was amazing to see the fans and dedicated volunteers out there.  I would have stayed inside if I wasn’t running!

I thought this was a cool picture near the Please Touch Museum/Memorial Hall.

Screenshot 2014-03-30 20.41.04

I finished in probably a 2:06/2:07 which was not bad for not training. My half PR was in 2011 – 1:48.
Wondering if I’ll ever be in that shape again!

So an impromtu half and first ever race in that kind of weather the entire race. It was an adventure. I’m glad I did it!

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Author

Comments

  1. I just heard about that half this week… I might have considered it if I had known it was happening! Although I can’t say I love running in the rain. But congrats!!

  2. Ha ha, if we waited for it to ever stop raining in ‘sunny Ecosse’ we’d never run. You can def learn to enjoy how invigorating the rain, mud and wind combo can be! Well done lady.

Leave a Reply