Trying to find a non-dairy ice cream without many ingredients is complicated! If we are going to have ice cream for a treat, I like to make it at home. This recipe was adapted from the sea salt caramel recipe that I created last summer. I swapped out coconut sugar for maple syrup, and used only the cream of the can of coconut milk, making this recipe creamy and delicious. Once it refreezes, it does get hard, and will need to sit out to defrost for easier scooping.
I used the cookie dough recipe from Oh She Glows to add in cookie dough, but feel free to add in your own mix-ins! We love Newman’s sandwich cookies for a treat to make Cookies n’ Cream!
VEGAN COOKIE DOUGH ICE CREAM
- ½ c raw cashews, soaked
- ½ c maple syrup
- ¼ c cocoa butter
- 5 T coconut oil
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 2 T almond butter or nut butter of choice
- 1 c the cream of a can of culinary coconut milk
- Soak cashews in water overnight then blend with ½ c + 2 T water
- In a small saucepan, melt maple syrup with cocoa butter, almond butter, coconut oil, and salt and whisk until smooth.
- To the cashew milk in the blender, add the 1 cup of culinary coconut milk and everything in the saucepan. Blend until smooth.
- Refrigerate until cold, I typically let it sit overnight and it will harden up and you could even eat it right then and there!
I use the ice cream machine to harden it further. While it’s blending along in the ice cream machine, add your toppings, whether homemade oreos or homemade edible cookie dough.